Wednesday 27 March 2013

Evaluation - Question 5: How did you attract/address your audience?


5) To answer this question I asked members of my target audience a series of questions based on what they thought about my magazine:

Target audience member 1, Lauren, aged 19

- What is your opinion of the 'Domination' front cover?

'I love it because of how bright and eye catching it is. It has really bold colours, I like the way there is the bright pink against the black and white. The photo stands out really well and it's a very striking image, really eye catching, I also like a lot of the singers and bands that appear on the cover. I like the way there is the use of the different text boxes which surround the text, it keeps within the same theme but with an edge which is really fresh and creative. It is a really creative front cover which catches my attention.'

- What is your opinion of the 'Domination' contents page?

'I like how it ties in with the front cover with its overall look and colour scheme. The contents has made the pages look really interesting, it gives out lots of information about what’s inside but it's really easy to read and makes me want to read these articles. Like the front cover, it is very creative, I like the way the masthead is kept on from the cover and the way it has the 'In this month's' almost stamped onto it. The picture is again really striking, the way the model is doing a portrait pose and it looks like she's looking at the contents, it looks really professional and she really makes it stand out. The tile 'Fresh of the cover' is really fresh and unique as well and the way the cover stories are separated and made slightly bolder makes it make easier and enjoyable to read.'

-What is your opinion of the 'Domination' double page spread?

'I love the way the model is posing it's very eye catching and would draw me in as I flick through the pages, it’s the first thing that stands out to me and it's a very strong image. It's very clever how the album cover has merged in with her face; it really promotes the album cover to me. I like the way the tiger print has been used and I love how the reel of black and white photos look really vintage against the eye-popping tiger print, very unique, it contrasts well. I can also see a theme of tiger print as her album is obviously called 'Wild', she has a tiger print top on, she's growling and there is the use of the tiger print on the first page. I love how the second page is very simple, it gives it a professional edge.'

Target audience member 2, Freya, aged 17

-What is your opinion of the ‘Domination’ front cover?

'It is very eye-catching; it will definitely stand out above the rest. The model looks really professional and it's the first thing that I see when I look at the cover, her pose is edgy but she looks girly, it's really good and captures my attention straight away. There are loads of different types of fonts but it works really well, it all has the same pink and black colour scheme going on which really appeals to me as it's really trendy and girly. There are different styles of fonts, writing, boxes, there's so much to look at, it's really interesting to look at. The layout is really good as well, it's clear and easy to read, it's structured very well, the obvious main selling point which is the 'TESS' part of the cover is big and creativity made with its different features. I also really the name of the magazine 'Domination' is really cool and modern and it makes a statement, I like the way it continues the theme with the pink and white and it's really unique with the use of two colours.'

-What is your opinion of the 'Domination' contents page?

'It follows on from the front cover nicely, there is lots of information but it doesn't look like it would be boring to read at all. The layout is really clever, it's set out neatly into the two columns, the titles of the columns are really cool and different from other magazines. The page has everything that is needed for a contents page, the page numbers are really clear and the more interesting cover stories stand out above the rest. The picture of the model used on the front cover is really good aswell, the way she isn't look directly into the camera and giving a profile look is simple, but really effective. The colour scheme works really well, I like the raspberry red, it fits in nicely with the other colours and it's a very trendy colour. I also like how the image has been kept in the corner, it makes the writing clear to read without anything behind it. The 'Letter from the editor piece is really cool, I love how it's on a piece of paper it makes it stand out, the idea of it gives the page a nice overall look.'

-What is your opinion of the 'Domination' double page spread?

'The image on the second page  is really cool, her pose is really eye-catching, I love the way she's growling, looks really edgy, I love it. I love the tiger print, it doesn't make it look too tacky, it looks really good against the black and white pictures. The text is really creative and catchy as well, the writing style. The layout is really good, it doesn't look too overloaded with writing, which would otherwise put me off reading the article, and it’s structured really well. I love the wild animal theme that I've just noticed, and how her album cover fits onto her face that's so cool, I've never seen anything like that before in a magazine, very creative. I also love on the front cover how the black and white pictures of her look old-fashioned, it's a weird combination mixed with the orange and the tiger print, but it's trendy and I really like that.'

1 comment:

  1. Natalie, with every element of the mark criteria your beautiful work is hitting the highest levels. From the outset with the school magazine, this is painstaking and well planned in addition to being thoroughly researched. You have a very unique approach and clearly an eye for meeting audience expectations. In addition however, the way you write is confident and analytical. Your ability to reflect make decisions and revisions to your work is impressive. You have a keen understanding of how the media works and your sense of the place of your magazine in the market is really sound. At this stage I am convinced that your work must be a model for the highest grades. Well done , quite an achievement.
    R&P: 20/20 Construct: 58/60 Evaluation: 19/20 = 97/100

    ReplyDelete